Last Summer

Sorry for any edits you see in this post, I really wanted to edit the where Microsoft Word indicated they were needed but it felt wrong when she is no longer here with us to grant me permission.


For almost a year we’d been making our plans,
for a special vacation soon as Ronnies’ plane lands.
Our little trailer was painted and spotlessly clean.
All of our neighbors had been watching this scene.
One would have thought from all our bustling around,
the president himself was coming to town.
Mom and I had been shopping and planning the meals,
Checking out what we’d need and looking for deals.
The cupboards and closets were all packed so full,
I was to worry if it was more than our Dodge truck could pull.
Even our little car had it’s share of the load,
As on Saturday morning we started up the road,
Sequim was our destination, fishing part of our plan,
Crabbing, Shrimping, whatever, it was catch as catch can.
We wanted a vacation better than any other,
to enjoy every minute we’d spend with our brother.
We lucked out for sure when we arrived at our favorite place,
The trailer court we’d planned on had an empty space.
Since she wouldn’t take reservation it was quite a worry,
SO We were so happy, we set up camp in a hurry.
One did have to stop tho to admire the view,
overlooking the bay and John Wayne Marina so new.
There was our crab pots and fishing equipment to buy,
So off to Swains in Port Angeles, we did fly.
You’ve never seen a store that carried more stock,
and we went about shopping never minding the clock.
Finally tired, hungry and broker by far,
We loaded our booty in the back of the car.
Now the trailer was loaded with all kinds of good things to eat,
but it was late, we were tired, so we decided on a treat.
We saw a place advertizing, burgers, cooked over the fire,
but let me tell you that place left a hell of a lot to desire.
Oh well; back to our camp there was always junk food to eat,
besides we had to set up our crit pots and put things away neat,
Now I worked like a beaver to get those pots all together,
Frank, our friend, was taking us out if we had good weather.
It was the last day shrimping so we had to try,
to put out Frank’s shrimp pots and get a supply.
We rigged up our poles to try oulugk fishing on the way,
but not a darn thing seemed to be hitting that day.
The wind started picking up and Frank was upset,
we decided to set out anyway to see what we could get.
The men set out the shrimp pots while I guided the boat,
then came the crab pots, but, we hadn’t bought a float.
But that wasn’t the worst, much to my dismay,
I’d set the damn crab pots all the wrong way.
Finally they were out with a borrowed shrimp float,
but the darn wind really started rocking the boat,
So we picked up the pots, all except one,
the darned knot on the float had just came undone.
The shrimp were too small, no crabs in the one pot,
so Davey Jones had got the best of that lot.
On the way back to the Marina we set our one pot out in the bay.
Had to try our luck once more before the end of the day.
Frank said we’d go out later to pick up our catch,
So we headed for town to get our crab pot a match.
Ronnie took a rest while Al and I did the shopping.
After getting what we needed, we hurried back without stopping.
Mom put on the kettle to cook the crabs we’d bring in,
I must say with her optimism we just had to win.
Two Red Claws and a big Dungeoness male was our luck,
Unfortunately on the way back Frank’s boat started to buck,
The engine got hot, seems the darned belt had just broke.
Believe me putting a new one on certainly was no joke.
We checked out the area, crabbed and fished off the dock
spent our time enjoying ali, never watching the clock.
The weather was beautiful, only one night of rain,
and the very next day we had sunshine again.
We went up to Hurricane Ridge, a wonderful ride,
Marvolous, the wonders, that nature can provide.
We fed the birds from our hand and took pictures galore,
of the deer and the views, beautiful memories to store.
One could never see all of this beauty and not understand,
this could only be possible, if touched by God’s hand.
Each night we’d play Yatzee, Ron’s favorite game.
After his Indian War Dance we’ll never be the same.
If I didn’t mention mom’s cooking I’d really be rude,
cause she really out did herself feeding her brood.
One of the highlights of the trip I must mention,
was Ronnies’ swim in the river without intention.
Mom and I crabbed at the dock, and Ron and Al fished for the day,
At tha Elwha River a few miles away.
Ron hooked a fish from a precarious perch on the bank,
then fate played one of its usual pranks,
down he went and broke his pole right in half,
Not only was it cold, but the fish had last laugh.
Deep sea fishing with roger was next on our list,
this was an experience not to be missed.
I know Ron will never forget the Ling Cod he caught that day,
Would like to have seen his face if he’d caught the one that got away.
He reeled and he puffed, then he reeled some more,
I was beginning to worry I’ll tell you for sure,
When Al offered him a helping hand, ” No Way”,
He’d bring that fish in if it took him all day.
It was sixty-five pounds but, from the teeth marks on his tail,
the one that had had ahold of him must have been a whale.
Needless to say that day Ronnie took the glory,
And it probably gets bigger each time he tells the story.
We took a lot of pictures with those ugly fish,
But to do it again is our greatest wish.
Such a beautiful day and to add to our delight
we watched the whales racing us like jets in flight.
Black and white Beauties, putting on their own water show,
And every one there watching enjoyed it I know.
Oh yes, and we rented a boat for the day,
All we caught were some dog sharks, I must say.
We did get a couple of crabs from the pots we’d set out,
that they covered the cost of the boat is in doubt.
Last but not least near the end of my story,
was fishing for Salmon in all of their glory.
We all caught our limits of these silvers of the sea,
but Alan”s was the biggest much to his glee.
Men are always in competition with each other,
but no man wants to be outdone by his little brother.
Mom and Ron came back via a sight seeing tour that Sunday,
we hurried home so Al could be ready for work on Monday.
I’ve never known time to fly by so fast,
but the memories of last summer surely will last.
The best part of all and the dream we hold dear,
Is to do it all over again even better next year.

By Ida Errickson
Jan 1, 1988

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.